Good intelligence for critical decisions
Taking your research two steps beyond
Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) is so much more then just browsing the World Wide Web. Our training programme aims to share the unique Reuser's OSINT Methodology to do open source research in a planned, systematic and structured way to find open source information that you would otherwise never find. Using the methodology, delegates will learn in-depth techniques to find all relevant information from open sources, execute a systematic research plan, to use for market research, investigations, intelligence production, fact checking techniques or vulnerability testing. There is in-depth discussions on everything you need to be successful and efficient in online research: best search engines, obscure search engines, social media monitoring, how to built an OSINT Research Station, the Deep Web / Dark Web, finding hidden information, creating a search plan, how to bring down 10+ million results to a manageable number, and more.
Want to know what others think about the RIS OSINT Pathfinder training programme? Here is a review of the OSINT Pathfinder training programme published in the Journal of European and American Intelligence Studies 2019.
Planning for 2020Registration is open for all RIS OSINT Pathfinder training programmes in 2020! The venue for all programmes is the NOVOTEL hotel The Hague City Center, The Netherlands.
|Tuesday-Thursday 8-10 December 2020|
|Tuesday-Thursday 22-24 September 2020|
|Tuesday-Thursday 16-18 June 2020|
|Tuesday-Thursday 17-19 March 2020|
Planning for 2019
10-12 December 2019
|Click to register|
27-29 August 2019
| Tuesday - Thursday
16-18 April 2019
The price for a RIS OSINT Pathfinder is €1.198,- per person ex. VAT / btw This is an all inclusive price, see What You Will Get further down for all the goodies. (Prices are excl. VAT / btw if applicable)
What you will learn
The RIS OSINT Pathfinder addresses the full cycle of investigative online research, from problem deconstruction up to and including search strategies. What you will learn is:
- The OSINT research methodology to do your research in a planned, structured and systematic way ;
- Background of OSINT : what is it, what is it not ;
- Technical and strategic backgrounds of the Internet as a research tool: organisation, setup, management, IP addressing, Domain research techniques ;
- How to set up and execute an in-depth, integrated OSINT research plan in global open sources, not limited to just the WWW ;
- Techniques to protect your information profile, to protect your information position and to search anonymously ;
- Requirement analysis and problem deconstruction, techniques to analyse a research subject and break it down in components ;
- The Global open source information landscape. What's out there? What sources are available for OSINT and how to get access? Commercial sources, libraries, online databases, the Dark web, the Deep web.
- Tools and techniques to research the Internet outside the World Wide Web. What else is there?
- Search strategies to set up a very systematic and structured research on the Internet: Building Blocks, Successive Fractions and Citation Pearl Growing ;
- Techniques to bring down millions of hits with low relevance to a few hundred with high relevance ;
- The RIS Semantical Table of Twelve to compose good keywords for search ;
- Smart query building : Boolean Logic to the max, how to compose smart queries that will find exactly what you want ;
- Validation techniques to establish reliability and usefulness of open source data.
And much more.
What you will get
All RIS training programmes and workshops are well documented in a variety of support materials and services. The idea of the programme is to understand, not to learn tricks. The tricks are all documented in quick reference sheets and a handbook.
What you get is :
- Three full days of OSINT training ;
- The RIS OSINT Research Machine, a fully adapted Firefox browser with all the tools, add-ons, extra searchbars and pre-formatted bookmarks ;
- The RIS OSINT Handbook with all the details, in print, with table of contents and sources ;
- Extensive lunch and catering included ;
- A laptop on loan for the duration of the training programme (you can bring your own if you like)
- Quick Reference Sheets with the full command languages of the major international search engines, including the 'secret' operators ;
- A hand-picked literature list for your background reading ;
- There will be an online training website for participants during and after the training programme ;
- One year access to the RIS Helpdesk by phone or e-mail for participants to ask questions to the teacher after the training ;
- Hand-signed RIS Pathfinder Certificate ;
- Group photograph (if required) ;
We also invite all our participants for the Icebreaker Event in the evening of the first day, an informal get together networking event hosted by us with drinks, snacks and a light dinner.
Who should attend?
The programme is particularly suited for
- Analysts and researchers working in conflict areas, for NGO's, or EU/UN missions abroad.
- Librarians and information professionals who work for government, semi-government, international governments in support of decision makers ;
- Scientific researchers who need a solid foundation in information research as a starting point for their research ;
- Journalists, investigative journalists, writers, historians who are dependent on decent and high quality open source information research ;
- Researchers in the private sector, in government agencies, in NGO's ;
- Cyber crime experts who are looking for the pearls in the haystack ;
- Financial fraud and financial crime researchers and analysts ;
- Insurance and risc researchers ;
- International relations, conflict studies ;
- Researchers looking for structure, systematic and planned foundations in their work.
The venue for the RIS OSINT Pathfinder training programmes is the Novotel Den Haag City Centre hotel.
The Novotel is straight across the Houses of Parliament, next to the historical Buitenhof and beautiful Passage for shopping. The hotel is a 4 star facility with excellent service, great lunches, indoor parking. Parking alternative is the underground parking at Plein.
Restaurants, shops, bars are at the doorstep.
How to get there The venue is within easy reach of The Hague Central Station (and roughly 25 minutes by train from Amsterdam Schiphol International Airport) and public transport (tram and bus) at the doorstep. From The Hague Central station, take bus 4 or 22, or take the tram 3 or 6. Walking is easier (1 mile, 1 1/2 kilometer). There is a direct tram line with Scheveningen boulevard.
Need help? Do not hesitate to ask us! We shall be happy to assist you in finding a suitable hotel.
What does a RIS Pathfinder programme look like?
The Pathfinder training programme is NOT about Google tricks, nor is it about using particular software brands. It is about the Reuser OSINT METHODOLOGY that can be used anywhere anytime, regardless the search engine used. Like one former participant described it: "R.I.S. is OSINT on step 4 to 5, where other training programmes are step 1 and 2". The research methodology can be used to use Google to the max, but can also be used for other search engines, commercial databases or your in-house search engines.
The programme will be performed LIVE, with REAL TIME exercises so participants can see for themselves the methodology actually does work. Exercises are as much as possible live as well. There are no predesigned demo's or something. Also, we make only use of FREELY available software and tools.
Theory is mixed with practical group or individual EXERCISES. Finally, the aim is to be PRACTICAL, everything learned should be applicable immediately in the personal office. So, no waisting time on future outlooks and what may happen in the years to come, but real and practical studying to get results.
The WHY is more important than the HOW. The HOW is covered in handouts and quick reference sheets. It's hard work, intensive, with a lot of new information to digest. RIS actively promotes COLLABORATIVE working techniques. Lots of attention will thus be paid to techniques to maintain a Work Journal to share your research with others.