4th - 6th June 2018, The Hague, The Netherlands
Good intelligence for critical decisions
Taking your research two steps beyond
Good intelligence is the key to good decision making. The RIS OSINT Pathfinder range of training programmes does exactly that. The Pathfinder training programme/workshop is a full programme aimed at getting the most out of the open source intelligence world today. The Pathfinder will address all steps of the unique RIS OSINT Intelligence Cycle, from problem deconstruction and requirements analysis, source analysis, search strategies and search tactics, information evaluation and reliability as well as research management.
There is in-depth discussions on everything you need to be successful and efficient in online research: best search engines, obscure search engines, social media monitoring, how to built an OSINT Research Station, the Deep Web / Dark Web, finding hidden information, creating a search plan, how to bring down 10+ million results to a manageable number, and more.
When: 4th - 6th June 2018
Where: Novotel City Centre, The Hague, The Netherlands
The total price for a RIS OSINT Pathfinder is €1.100,- per person
This is an all inclusive price, see What You Will Get further down for all the goodies.
(Prices are excl. VAT if applicable)
What you will learn
The RIS OSINT Pathfinder addresses the full cycle of investigative online research, from problem deconstruction up to and including search strategies. What you will learn is:
- The best and most effective search strategies ;
- Strategies to bring down 10+ million hits to a few relevant ones ;
- How to search the Deep Web ;
- Monitoring techniques for social media from simple to professional ;
- All ins and outs of the worlds leading search engines ;
- How to structure and plan your research ;
- Advanced techniques to validate information for reliability ;
- How to find out the true senders of e-mail ;
- How to find hidden information in photographs ;
- Maintaining a journal of your research to save you time and money ;
- The best and most useful tools and add-ons to turn your PC into a RIS OSINT Research Station.
And much more.
What you will get
All RIS training programmes and workshops are well documented in a variety of support materials and services. The idea of the programme is to understand, not to learn tricks. The tricks are all documented in quick reference sheets and a handbook.
What you get is :
- Three full days of OSINT training ;
- The RIS OSINT Research Machine, a fully adapted Firefox browser with all the tools, add-ons, extra searchbars and pre-formatted bookmarks ;
- The RIS OSINT Handbook with all the details, in print, with table of contents and sources ;
- Extensive lunch and catering included ;
- A laptop on loan for the duration of the training programme (you can bring your own if you like)
- Quick Reference Sheets with the full command languages of the major international search engines, including the 'secret' operators ;
- A hand-picked literature list for your background reading ;
- There will be an online training website for participants during and after the training programme ;
- One year access to the RIS Helpdesk by phone or e-mail for participants to ask questions to the teacher after the training ;
- Hand-signed RIS Pathfinder Certificate ;
- Group photograph (if required) ;
We also invite all our participants for the Icebreaker Event in the evening of the first day, an informal get together networking event hosted by us with drinks, snacks and a light dinner.
Who should attend?
The programme is particularly suited for
- Analysts and researchers working in conflict areas, for NGO's, or EU/UN missions abroad.
- Librarians and information professionals who work for government, semi-government, international governments in support of decision makers ;
- Scientific researchers who need a solid foundation in information research as a starting point for their research ;
- Journalists, investigative journalists, writers, historians who are dependent on decent and high quality open source information research ;
- Researchers in the private sector, in government agencies, in NGO's ;
- Cyber crime experts who are looking for the pearls in the haystack ;
- Financial fraud and financial crime researchers and analysts ;
- Insurance and risc researchers ;
- International relations, conflict studies ;
- Researchers looking for structure, systematic and planned foundations in their work.
The venue for all RIS OSINT training programmes and workshops is the Novotel Den Haag City Centre hotel, Hofweg 5-7, 2511 AA The Hague, The Netherlands.
The hotel is straight across the Houses of Parliament, next to the historical Buitenhof and beautiful Passage for shopping. The hotel is a 4 star facility with excellent service, great lunches, indoor parking. Parking alternative is the underground parking at Plein. Restaurants, shops, bars at the doorstep.
How to get there
The venue is within easy reach of The Hague Central Station (and roughly 25 minutes by train from Amsterdam Schiphol International Airport) and public transport (tram and bus) at the doorstep. From The Hague Central station, take bus 4 or 22, or take the traim 3 or 6. Walking is easier (1 mile, 1 1/2 kilometer). There is a direct tram line with Scheveningen boulevard.
Do not hesitate to ask us! We shall be happy to assist you in finding a suitable hotel. We shall also provide you with a free three day tram pass if you require one.
What does a RIS Pathfinder programme look like?
The Pathfinder training programme is NOT about Google tricks, nor is it about using particular software brands. It is about a METHODOLOGY that can be used anywhere anytime, regardless the search engine used. Like one former participant described it: "R.I.S. is OSINT on step 4 to 5, where other training programmes are step 1 and 2". The research methodology can be used to use Google to the max, but can also be used for other search engines, commercial databases or your in-house search engines.
The programme will be performed LIVE, with REAL TIME exercises so participants can see for themselves the methodology actually does work. Exercises are as much as possible live as well. There are no predesigned demo's or something. Also, we make only use of FREELY available software and tools.
Theory is mixed with practical group or individual EXERCISES. Finally, the aim is to be PRACTICAL, everything learned should be applicable immediately in the personal office. So, no waisting time on future outlooks and what may happen in the years to come, but real and practical studying to get results.
The WHY is more important than the HOW. The HOW is covered in handouts and quick reference sheets. It's hard work, intensive, with a lot of new information to digest. RIS actively promotes COLLABORATIVE working techniques. Lots of attention will thus be paid to techniques to maintain a Work Journal to share your research with others.